Sponges, sanitise it!

spongesI have always been surprised at the lack of effort people seem to put into cleaning their sponges. In fact; I have seen some people out there never clean their sponge. This has always been a little strange to me. Remember; sponges are designed to clean. This means that when you use them they will be picking up all sorts of dirt, grime, and bacteria. If you do not clean that dirt, grime, and bacteria off then you will obviously be spreading it around the next surface that you clean. Thankfully getting into a healthy habit should not be that difficult. On this page I want to talk to you about sanitising your sponges!

Sponges, sanitise it!

On a daily basis (i.e. every time you have finished using sponges) you should clean it under a warm tap. You should allow it to absorb as much water as possible. You can then squeeze it and let all of that water out. Leave the sponge in an area where it can dry off quickly. It is remarkably important that you make sure that all of the water, or at least as much as possible, is squeezed out after the cleaning. Not many people seem to realize this; but a sponge that is full of water is a breeding ground for bacteria. Bacteria thrive in standing water. If your sponge is not dry then you will be causing yourself problems in the long run.

Next up is the actual sanitation of the sponge. The technique I am about to describe to you was actually approved by the USDA recently…which shows you how good it is. This is the idea of using a microwave to sanitise your sponges. It may sound crazy but it actually works! You should try and perform this technique as often as possible. In an ideal world you should be cleaning your sponges using this technique every time that you use them.

Sponges, sanitise it!

You will need a microwave for this technique (obviously). You should start by soaking your sponge completely in water. Do not get rid of the water. Leave the sponge soaking. You can then place a paper towel into the microwave with your sponges on top of it. This should hopefully make the clean up a bit easier if the sponge melts. Stick a cup of water into the microwave at the same time. Set the timer to one minute. In this minute all of the bacteria on the sponge will be destroyed and any mould that may have grown will be stopped in its tracks. Obviously you should let sponges cool down before you squeeze the water out. It will have boiling water on it and the last thing you want to be doing is scalding yourself.

That’s all there is too it. Cleaning your sponges is not all that difficult. It is also one of the most important healthy habits you can pick up if you want to ensure that you are not spreading bacteria around your home!

Read More